Sunday, November 11, 2007

i have a hard time picking a favorite anything but i'm pretty sure my favorite song,if i had to pick is joni mitchell- 'for free'. joni mitchell isn't a favorite artist but dang that song.every time i listen to it i cry.i could listen to it 5 times in a row [and i have] and i pull myself together only to begin crying again.
so i'm making a top ten.so far have five...
1.for free-joni mitchell
2. across the universe-the beatles and i really love rufus wainwrights' cover
3. it is well with my soul-favorite hymn for sure, best heard in a congregation, or by anyone who is worshipping.
4.the blower's daughter-damien rice-i walked down the aisle to this song
5.sleigh ride-amy grant- this may not make the eventual top ten but i did grow up hearing amy grant incessantly during the month of december so...it brings happy memories

the lyrics to 'it is well with my soul' always tear me up too, especially considering how the song came about--
[oh lord i pray for faith like this]

- Words by Horatio G. Spafford, 1873
The words to this hymn was written after two major traumas in Spafford's life. The first was the Great Chicago Fire of October 1871, which ruined him financially. Shortly after, while crossing the Atlantic, all four of Spafford's daughters died in a collision with another ship. Spafford's wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram: "SAVED ALONE." Several weeks later, as Spafford's own ship passed near the spot where his daughters died, he was inspired to write these words.


When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blessed assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

amen!!!!!

2 comments:

shutterthink said...

AMEN!

Aaron, Sarah, and Emily Walter said...

When I was reading your list (before I saw the rest of the blog) I read It is well-and said to myself how that song always makes me cry-I love it too!! Then I read that you too-then the lyrics and aaahhhh. Seems like the words to that song can always resonate with you no matter what is going on in your life...just hits the right spot....beautiful...